Oakland Athletics catcher Bruce Maxwell, who became the first Major League Baseball player to take a knee during the national anthem last September, announced Tuesday that he will stand for “The Star-Spangled Banner” during the coming season.
Maxwell – who comes from a military family – expanded upon his decision to stop kneeling in a statement released Tuesday afternoon.
Maxwell first took a knee before a home game on Sept. 23 of last year. The team came out with a statement of support that evening, and Maxwell said at the time he wouldn’t stop taking a knee despite receiving threats after the fact.
Maxwell told reporters – including Martin Gallegos of the Mercury News – that he's unable to discuss the charges against him, and said Tuesday he doesn't anticipate the legal issues will become a distraction.
The 27-year-old hit .237/.329/.333 in 76 games for the A’s last season, and is expected to compete for their starting catcher’s job this spring.
Copyright © 2018 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.